FACEBOOK BROKE THRU ADBLOCKPLUS

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Lollster

FACEBOOK BROKE THRU ADBLOCKPLUS

Post by Lollster »

In the past week Facebook has broken thru my software and is now showing me ads of things I have purchased on line recently. So that means they are also defying my preferences to not be followed by an anybody. Why is this happening? Is it even legal for them to override my privacy settings? I am very angry about this, and also about the time this is taking to me to solve. I have downloaded the most recent version of Adblockplus. Do I need to reboot my computer to make sure it's updated with everything new? I'll do that anyway while I wait for some help.
Lollster

Re: FACEBOOK BROKE THRU ADBLOCKPLUS

Post by Lollster »

mapx wrote:try
viewtopic.php?p=157237#p157237
I don't know where my reply went. I'm new to this, so I probably screwed up. Anyway, I said that I am not talking about the sponsored ads in the FB news feed. I am talking about ads off to the right of that, and they're based on my recent online purchases.

After I installed ADBLOCK a couple of months ago and changed my browser preferences to DO NOT TRACK ME EVER, ANYBODY, FOR ANY REASON (LOL), all advertising went completely away from every site I frequent. Now, suddenly, FB has broken thru. They are not only posting ads, but they are tracking me and basing those ads on my buying history.
mapx

Post by mapx »

You posted in the other thread
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48064&p=160411#p160411

However, you should clear your cookies and use also the social list.
A screenshot with what you see ?
easyr669

Post not available.

Post by easyr669 »

Post not available
Last edited by easyr669 on Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lollster

Post by Lollster »

I appreciate your trying to help me. But I'm afraid I'm just not Adblock/Facebook literate enough to even know what your response means or what I'm s'posed to do. Plus I'm on a iMac and probably everybody here is using PCs.

I'll just live with it. Thanks again for trying to help me.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

All of those are custom hiding rules, and they do not depend on what operating system you use; you need to make a new filter group, and then add each line, depending on what parts of the Facebook user interface you want to hide.

Also, you might want to try those rules with just "facebook.com" at the beginning, instead of "m.facebook.com", so you can also hide content on the desktop Facebook site.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
mapx

Post by mapx »

how to add custom filters:
forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42013
Lollster

Post by Lollster »

Thank you so much. Is there a way to stop them from following me? I have made that clear in browser preferences, but FB is not honoring it. That's where they're getting their ad ideas for me from.

Custom filters: Do you mean I have to create a filter for every link connected to every ad they run (over to the right--I'm not talking about newsfeed ads)?

Do you know if people are protected by any laws that prevent companies from following us on line? Isn't this a constitutional issue? The right to privacy?
mapx

Post by mapx »

1. you should use this filter (it helps to block FB to follow you whatever site you visit)

Code: Select all

||connect.facebook.net^
2. hide the right column of FB:
add these filters

Code: Select all

facebook.com###rightCol
facebook.com##._4-u2.mvm._495i
Lollster

Post by Lollster »

This looks great. Remind me, please, where to go to add filters. Thanks so much!
mapx

Post by mapx »

see above the link
Lollster

Post by Lollster »

A L L B E T T E R !

Thank you so much! :D
TrafficMan

Post by TrafficMan »

yep same here!
Yuri Futanari

Post by Yuri Futanari »

My problem, although based on the same original issues ended in a much different result.

In my case, when I go to block suggestion ads on facebook it blocks all images, even those I post my self in the newsfeed although I was not intending to do this.

I may have overstepped the setting, or else the ad blocking protocol can not be fine tuned to distinguish between an ad and a private posting [even though they are clearly marked] so I am asking if there is a way to make the selectivity between an ad and a person's post a little more functional and user friendly?

Also if there is a way, could you make it where a person can somehow more accurately see where the boundaries of an ad is so they know when to stop dragging the slider to the right?

Perhaps this may be really hard, I do not know, but I know it has a little bit to do with being able to find the word "suggested" on the page as a critical giveaway that it is indeed an ad.

Personally I don't want them to suggest to me anything and I block every column and side bar I can get rid of [although other people might not wish to] but the problem comes in when I try to go from ads in the feed to no ads, but no photos either.

I do not even know why this is the case.