Adblock Plus For Firefox on Android Not Working

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
CoolV1994

Adblock Plus For Firefox on Android Not Working

Post by CoolV1994 »

I have been using Adblock Plus for Firefox on Android for a long time now and a few months ago when Firefox did a major update to better match the new Firefox on PC and now Adblock Plus isn't supported on FF Android anymore.
When Firefox did the major update, at first I was able to use Adblock Plus just fine but as of a few months ago, now they are saying that ABP isn't supported anymore.
All of the other plugins I use on my phone still work and Adblock did work for a white at first, but I can not seem to get it to work anymore.
I have tried uninstalling the plugin and reinstalling it but I can install it anymore due to Firefox saying it isn't supported.
I made sure all my apps are up to date and that my phone and OS are up to date too.

I would really like to be able to use the Adblock Plus Firefox plugin on my phone again. ABP on FF Mobile is definatly one of my favorite features of mobile browsing.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get ABP to work again?
If not can the ABP devs please make an update to fix support for Firefox Android.

I have a Samsung Galaxy J7 Perx, Android version 8.1.0, Firefox version 84.1.1, as of this post.
Marco

Re: Adblock Plus For Firefox on Android Not Working

Post by Marco »

Last year (or whenever it was) I installed Firefox v68apk to get ABP back on Firefox.

I just ran into FF updating overnight,even though I have AUTO UPDATE turned off on Firefox.
Shocking! Why and how did that happen?
Since reinstalling v68, I cannot reload ABP.

And in all honesty, I cannot FIND THE DOWNLOAD to any old Adblock Plus download link.
I know FF has removed it for the other - uBlock - so it's not on their addons page.

Have no idea what the plugin CoolV1994 is talking about.
BUT:
Why can't I find it on ABP home page?
The ABP browser is everywhere.

What the HELL is going on?
Mighty, mighty strange.

Thank you.
robertvincent
Location: Wood Side, 1st Floor, 382555 Street, NY 11377, USA.

Post by robertvincent »

I got the same type of problem, it doesn't work how it should;d be
Anon27

Post by Anon27 »

Hi, I have Firefox for Android 68.9.0 (much better than the newer versions) and AdBlock Plus 3.11 works just fine for me (except I can't seem to find the custom filters options — not the one to subscribe to custom filters, the one to write your own filter). I don't remember exactly where I installed it from, but I believe it must have been en/adblock-plus-firefox (in any case, that's an official download link and I believe it's working); BTW, if you have FfA 64, I would suggest you update your browser to the latest ABP-compatible version (68, AFAIK), for both security and compatibility reasons.
Last edited by Anon27 on Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

You can find it in the settings page under the "Advanced" tab. There's a section titled "Your custom filters" with an input field under "My filter list" where you can enter your own filters. Maybe ui#282 will help make this a bit clearer in the future.
Anon27

Post by Anon27 »

@greiner, I just visited the images in the link you gave me, and that's not what moz-extension://e671caa0-5439-4fc4-8d34-73321c891e89/options.html looks like to me at all. Here, I'll send you a screencap. Have I been using this app wrong? Should I uninstall and reinstall it?

This is what it should look like: https://eyeogmbh.invisionapp.com/consol ... /365272243

This is what it does look like: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1me6T1R ... WeEpT/view
Last edited by Anon27 on Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

Anon27 wrote:This is what it does look like: …um, I have the screenshot, but how do I post it?
Unfortunately, you can't upload it to the forum directly. But you can upload it to some other site such as Flickr or Google Photos, share it from there and link to it here.
Anon27

Post by Anon27 »

greiner wrote:
Anon27 wrote:This is what it does look like: …um, I have the screenshot, but how do I post it?
Unfortunately, you can't upload it to the forum directly. But you can upload it to some other site such as Flickr or Google Photos, share it from there and link to it here.
Thank you, I uploaded to Google Drive (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1me6T1R ... WeEpT/view) and edited the post accordingly.
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

Sorry, my mistake. I didn't read properly that you were referring to the mobile version of the extension. The mobile version indeed doesn't have any such section in its settings page and it's generally missing a couple of features that the desktop version has.

However, the core functionality is there so what you can do is upload your filters as a plain text file somewhere and add it via the "Add a filter list" option. Some people, for example, use GitHub for that purpose (e.g. https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hoshs ... nocoin.txt). With that approach you can also share your filters with friends or use them across multiple devices and browsers.

If you need some help with writing filters or creating a filter list, I'm sure that you'll find some useful tips over at the EasyList forum.
Anon27

Post by Anon27 »

@greiner thank you

PS: just realised I had spelled "86" where I meant "68" in my original post (my bad), that could be why you misunderstood; if so, I do apologise