Guilt-trip payment screen despite making regular donations

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
enrico_94

Guilt-trip payment screen despite making regular donations

Post by enrico_94 »

Every so often, Adblock Plus performs an update and produces a new tab in Firefox that says: "Please don't scroll away...we need your help to keep Adblock Plus running and improving. While a small percentage of users generously contribute to support our mission, we rely on the support of users like you to keep Adblock Plus alive and free for everyone. Your contribution, no matter how small, can make a big difference..."

The effect is to send me on a guilt-trip, despite the fact that I have a regular monthly payment set up to support the developers.

There is no option presented on the screen other than to check out (and therefore start a new donation) or close the tab, which feels cowardly somehow.

Is there any way Adblock Plus could, say, read its own cookie and know that I'm a regular supporter? And then perhaps stop displaying the guilt-trip screen? Or even provide a button saying "I Gave Already" or similar?

Thanks
droosan

Re: Guilt-trip payment screen despite making regular donations

Post by droosan »

I literally just contributed US$35 to ABP via Paypal yesterday. Yet tonight, I was asked again to contribute (on a different computer).

:arrow: As enrico_94 states, an option to state that "I gave already" (or something to that effect) would be a very welcome addition to the "Please don't scroll away" page. :idea:

Being presented only with checkout or closing the tab (which then prompts yet another pop-up tab whose only buttons are "Checkout: US$10" or "I don't want to contribute" -- again, after only just donating the full recommended amount less than 24 hours prior! -- is an aggravation, frankly. A minor one, to be sure .. but one I felt worth voicing on your forum.

I'm a satisfied customer of ABP, and have used it for many years .. and very much plan to continue to do so. I will even donate again in future. But not two days in a row. :|
KellisRj

Re: Guilt-trip payment screen despite making regular donations

Post by KellisRj »

I joined the forum for this specific reason. Unhappy to see there is no answer from AdBlock.