Why is "Adblock Plus for Chrome" still Beta?

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
sharp

Why is "Adblock Plus for Chrome" still Beta?

Post by sharp »

Hi everyone,

i am wondering why "Adblock Plus for Chrome" is still Beta?
Can you give me any reasons, in Firefox it ain't Beta ...

Thx
sharp
Gawd

Re: Why is "Adblock Plus for Chrome" still Beta?

Post by Gawd »

I'm guessing that it's far from being complete. That and the feature set compared to the Firefox version is pretty small.
anonymous74100

Post by anonymous74100 »

I think it's to provide an excuse when people complain that it's not as good as the Firefox version.
Latvian List maintainer
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

anonymous74100 wrote:I think it's to provide an excuse when people complain that it's not as good as the Firefox version.
The better term is "reason" :roll:

IMO once the WebRequest API is stable, ABP Chrome will be updated to be just as effective as the Firefox version, and then maybe Palant and Co. will implement that abp: pseudo-protocol support from the Firefox version (as Gundlach already has), and possibly they will allow people to selectively disable certain filters (as in Firefox), and after that the two extensions should be at parity and the Chrome version will no longer be marked as "Beta"; the main issue is that WebRequest API, because without it the Chrome extension will not be able to reliably block all filtered requests, and in particular it will be helpless in the face of requests made by plugin content.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.