ABP for Chrome not blocking ads

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
twsnnva

ABP for Chrome not blocking ads

Post by twsnnva »

I have recently started using Chrome as my primary browser. ABP installs and works fine on 5 of 6 computers, but unfortunately, the one it is not working on is my primary laptop. It simply does not appear to block any ads. As a test, if I go to weather.com on this computer, I see several ads. If I do the same on my other computers, the ads are gone. I have tried restarting the computer, re-installing ABP and re-installing Chrome to no avail. I am subscribed to both Easylist and Fanboy's list. ABP works fine in FF on the same computer. Any advice? Thanks!
lewisje

Re: ABP for Chrome not blocking ads

Post by lewisje »

First of all, subscribe to only one of EasyList and Fanboy's List; second, consider trying the experimental build (after enabling experimental extension APIs in chrome://flags and restarting Chrome): en/development-builds#installation
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
twsnnva

Post by twsnnva »

Thank you, lewisje. I tried each list independently but it makes no difference. I have also tried the experimental build with no success. In this build, under the "filter lists" tab, the lists appear to be stuck on "downloading...". Why do you suggest subscribing to only one list? I have seen the default list change between these two from time to time, so I began subscribing to both. I've done this for as long as I can remember and have never had a problem. Actually, the current issue is the only problem I've ever had with ABP. Thanks again.
twsnnva

Post by twsnnva »

As I mentioned in my last post, after installing the experimental build, I noticed the list was stuck on "downloading...". I would have never seen this had I not installed the dev build, so a big thanks to you, lewisje. It appears this was related to the Root CA store on my laptop being out of date. I also noticed several SSL protected sites coming up as "untrusted" in Chrome (the link you provided being one). I can only assume the ABP update server uses SSL and uses an "affected" certificate, preventing the list from being downloaded. After installing the latest Root CA update from Microsoft's website, ABP now updates and works. Also, the sites that were "untrusted", now load fine. I have provided a link to the Root CA update should anyone else experience this issue.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... en&id=6149
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

If you're using a version of Windows earlier than Vista, these updates to root certificates should happen in the normal course of Windows Update; for later versions, it happens in the background, without even needing a formal "update" package.

Anyway, it is useful to note that the only two major browsers that don't use the operating system's certificate store are Firefox and Opera (Chrome does some extra validation to get rid of compromised certs more quickly, but it still relies on the certificate store maintained by Microsoft, Apple, or the SSL provider for the Linux distribution, possibly a system-wide installation of NSS).
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
twsnnva

Post by twsnnva »

lewisje, the laptop in question is running Windows 7 Pro SP1 w/ all recommended and optional updates applied. Why the store was out of date, I don't know. I've been using FF as my primary browser since it's original release, which I'm sure is why/how this slipped under the radar. I have never seen this specific problem and managed thousands of Windows clients and servers over the years. While the update should not need to be applied manually (even when running XP, I always used automatic updates), I'm sure this will happen to someone else down the road. Thanks again.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

That is weird...Windows must have had a problem with the background process that updates its certificate store.