adblock plus for ios 8

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Safari
paulbunyan

adblock plus for ios 8

Post by paulbunyan »

adblock plus should look into an app for ios 8. It is possible for adblock plus to be used natively on ios 8 now using the new extensions api.
lewisje

Re: adblock plus for ios 8

Post by lewisje »

My best guess is that the API will allow a subset of the functionality of the extension API for the Mac version of Safari; my hope is that it still allows something like ABP to work.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
snoack

Post by snoack »

There is no effort by Apple to bring extensions, as they exist for Safari on Mac OSX, to Safari on iOS. Instead iOS 8 introduces OS-level extensions, which let apps extend the behavior of iOS and its built-in apps in some limited ways. The only way to extend Safari, that has been announced so far, is a custom context menu entry, that must be manually activated by the user in order to let an app do something with the current web page. However, that is rather useless in order to implement an adblocker.
Anonymous127

Post by Anonymous127 »

According to https://www.apple.com/ios/ios8/enterprise/,

"A new networking framework in iOS 8 makes it possible for third-party networking developers to create powerful content-filtering tools."

Which might be even better news, if it allows system-wide ad blocking.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

I think this is the way to go, but it's unclear what it actually talks.

From here:
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac ... ction.html

They're talking about a "Web Content Filter Payload" that's applicable to both WebKit and socket calls. Looks like it calls out to a service that you can specify, but I can't find any documentation on the API.

Anyone have any luck finding what kind of API this is?

-David