ABP: Do Flashblock and Ghostery add more protection?

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
luckycharms

ABP: Do Flashblock and Ghostery add more protection?

Post by luckycharms »

Hello All,

I have Ad-Block Plus installed with EasyList, EasyPrivacy and fanboy-adblock filters. I have a few questions about the overlapping functionality of other firefox security add-ons.

1) Flashblock. Will ABP block flash requests to servers in the ABP filter lists, or does flash circumvent ABP?
2) Ghostery. Do the tracking filters already take care of everything that will show up in Ghostery?

Thanks!

Allie
Wladimir Palant

Re: ABP: Do Flashblock and Ghostery add more protection?

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Adblock Plus blocks all requests as required and should do significantly better than either Flashblock or Ghostery. Adblock Plus can block Flash easily and even individual requests sent out by Flash without blocking the entire object.

1) Flashblock cannot be considered a security add-on. I looked into it just recently, Flashblock runs in the context of the webpage and can be easily manipulated by it. For example, a website can disable Flashblock in a trivial way.
2) From all I know, Ghostery cannot block anything - it will only report privacy issues (including web bugs that have been blocked by Adblock Plus). EasyPrivacy should already block anything that Ghostery will notify you about and in a more reliable way (last I checked manipulating Ghostery was easy as well).
Adblock user

Post by Adblock user »

FlashBlock certainly is everything else than a security addon. In no case it would be able to block harmful plugin-media.
Flashblock can be easily circumvented, with one line of classic HTML.
There is also demonstration site online. If you have Flashblock installed try to block the flash demonstration. Flashblock always fails.
http://netticat.ath.cx/Misc/overrideflashblockdemo.htm
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Right, that's one issue with Flashblock - there are many more.
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

Not to be giving info you don't already have, but I COULD block that easily with Adblock Plus. Just info some might not have picked up on. ;)