Adblogs takes money from Google

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.
Gerhard

Adblogs takes money from Google

Post by Gerhard »

Have i understand right, that Adblock takes money from enterprises like Google to let their Ads came through?
And their ask users to donate money?
:roll:
Let me know your opinion about this.

Cheers
Gerhard

Re: Adblogs takes money from Google

Post by Gerhard »

i read in german news site spiegel.de that Google payed 25 million $ to Adblock to let all their Ads come through.
So the biggest bug is Adblocker itself.
I deinstalled it immedetly.
mapx

Post by mapx »

well, did you already read those links ?

do you know you can choose if you want or no subscribe the acceptable ads ?
mapx

Post by mapx »

Gerhard I see in the articles opinions. Not evidences.

Sascha said something, eyeo said it's not true. Are you talking about Sascha's lies ?

Did you read those links ? The second is a discussion with the same ..Sascha.
blog/pallengate-warum-sascha-pallenberg-bewusst-luegt
AdsKill!

Post by AdsKill! »

mapx wrote:well, did you already read those links ?

do you know you can choose if you want or no subscribe the acceptable ads ?
I read the English version, forced upon me during what I'd thought was going to be an improvement update. Yes, I saw the options too, and when I chose either my Android browser still began crashing like never before! Something's seriously wrong with ABP for Android now,after recent update, whether I opt-out or accept. I can't even reply on sites where before had no issues, the page flashing, trying to load, taking more time to load, floating touch keyboard bouncing in and out of frame, along with the total crashing and 'Stopped Responding/ Wait or Close' window seen now. Agitating, aggravating, insulting, it's not the ABP I once knew and loved any longer. I don't see anyone convincing me all this isn't due to a sellout by my one once-trusted app to Google for profit or to gain rights to post the app on the Play Store, instead of being loyal to the user. I for one war not one of those users that were supposedly polled and asked of any ads would be acceptable, no idea where they get so-called "percentage of users willing to accept...", I wasn't asked prior to this change!
mapx

Post by mapx »

well, your post is a ...bug post.
ABP for android needs a lot of work.
If the previous version was good for you why do not yoy downgrade ?
choose which one you want:
https://downloads.adblockplus.org/devbu ... usandroid/

Do you really think ABP developers would create a ... awful app ...for what ? Only if you create a stable / good app you can ...gain.
NottaAd

Seriously?

Post by NottaAd »

mapx wrote:well, your post is a ...bug post.
ABP for android needs a lot of work.
If the previous version was good for you why do not yoy downgrade ?
choose which one you want:
https://downloads.adblockplus.org/devbu ... usandroid/

Do you really think ABP developers would create a ... awful app ...for what ? Only if you create a stable / good app you can ...gain.
Yes, needs work, but at what cost to end-users?
We pay for devices, we pay for services, we pay fo for so much it's ridiculous
It's we, the end-users, that should be paid to endure advertising we don't want, not developers of apps we believed could reprove those that are slicing away bit-by-bit at time in our lives we can never recoupe.
We came to ABP believing they felt the same way, that ads are a bane on existence and cheapen the experience we've paid to enjoy.
End-users have paid the Piper, then the highwayman tries to take what's left, then the highwayman pays the Piper for access to our highways and the Piper gladly accepts payment to let the highwayman take even more. Where does it end? Adblockers say they get it, provide security, then take payment from the very people we wanted to be protected from?
I've tried reverting back to earlier versions of ABP. Android browser still misbehaved. Not until running an adblock remover app and all traces of leftover Host files was it successful. Ads came back, reinstalled old version off a different adblocker that never took a penny from end-users or advertisers and now I can once againbrowse ad-free on my Android just as I previously did using ABP. Life's complicated enough, keep it simple and sincere, let's keep adblockers ad-free and the world will rejoice.
briancphy

Post by briancphy »

Google paying ABP? THat's like the mob paying the cops to let them steal and murder. That... doesn't happen... right?
mutchy126

Post by mutchy126 »

I believe that this is true.

This puts me off allowing any non-intrusive advertising. :|
Jenga

Post by Jenga »

I don't think you guys understand what's at stake.

Adblock Plus has a big enough userbase that companies care about their advertising revenues. Whatever happen they will be doing something against it, so what do you prefer ? That ABP creates a list of well-behaved ads that we can disable, or that big companies figure out new and even more annoying ways to screw us ?

Answer is easy. In a way, both will happen. But if ABP is satisfying the big companies enough while keeping its promises as an ad-blocking tool, we can hope things will stay relatively civil.

Now should ABP developers accept money, the answer would be no if they were in a different position. For instance, an ISP should NEVER be allowed to accept money from a big website to improve its network access over other sites who do not pay. That is in part because ISP are already way way too powerful, and in part because doing so will affect internet as a whole. In Adblock Plus' case though, both reasons don't particularly apply: Firstly, small sites (less "powerful" than ABP) don't pay to be added to the whitelist, and big sites are bigger than ABP. And secondly, them accepting payment cannot have a negative impact on the web so long as the whitelist can be opted out freely.

For this to work, the company running ABP must do 3 things:
- Ensure that the mandatory criterias for whitelistable ads are the technical ones, allowing most websites to get on the list for free
- Be completely transparent about what's going on
- Thrive to make their product work flawlessly and block everything that the user expects it to

Point 1 and 2 are respected.
For point 3, recent v2.6 is imperfect. (Also I can only discuss about Firefox desktop)
UNREAL

Post by UNREAL »

are the responses of the hicks commenting on this page. I have the regular Ad Block and couldn't be happier. Even when I sign into my e-mail sites ... no damn ads!! The hicks bad mouthing Ad Block must be in advertising so just ignore them.