Downloading Xenocode's "sandboxed" applications · 2009-08-28 18:29 by Wladimir Palant
A while ago there was an announcement that the company Xenocode was providing virtualized versions of applications, particularly browsers. While what they provide isn’t real sandboxes (the applications that you run there can still write files to the disk, e.g. if you download something from the web) it is still an easy way of running browsers without having to install them — Xenocode makes sure that from application’s point of view everything that should be there after installation is there. In particular, you can run Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Explorer 7 on the same machine at the same time — no need for complicated registry hacks. Of course, this should only be used for testing websites that are safe, you won’t get security updates for these Internet Explorer instances.
Originally, you could simply download an executable from Xenocode’s website and run it whenever you wanted. Unfortunately, now you have to install a plugin that will download the executable for you. This means in particular that you can no longer run the application if Xenocode’s website is unavailable (e.g. because you don’t have an Internet connection). And the path to the actual executable isn’t even available in page’s source code any more.
But the executables are still there, it is only that you have to guess the address now. Just in case somebody needs those (and to make sure I can find them again myself), these seem to be the most current packages:
- Internet Explorer 6: http://start-c.spoon.net/layers/ie6/6-0-0-0__9/ie6.exe
- Internet Explorer 7: http://start-c.spoon.net/layers/ie7/7-0-0-0__8/ie7.exe
- Internet Explorer 8: http://start-c.spoon.net/layers/ie8/8-0-0-0__10/ie8.exe
- Firefox 3.0.11: http://start-c.spoon.net/layers/firefox/3-0-11-0__5/firefox.exe
- Google Chrome 184.108.40.206: http://start-c.spoon.net/layers/chrome/2-0-172-33__3/chrome.exe
- Safari 4.0: http://start-c.spoon.net/layers/safari4/4-0-530-17__5/safari4.exe
- Opera 9.64: http://start-c.spoon.net/layers/opera/9-64-0-0__1/opera.exe
Commenting is closed for this article.