Adblock Plus 1.7.3 for Chrome and Opera released · 2014-01-29 17:38 by Wladimir Palant
This release fixes pop-up blocking that was broken in the previous release. It also addresses a long standing issue, the size of the “Block element” dialog wasn’t always set correctly.
Adblock Plus 1.7.2 for Chrome and Opera released · 2013-12-19 14:36 by Wladimir Palant
The previous release introduced issues with some old Chrome versions (reported for Chrome 24 and 25), element hiding wouldn’t work there. These have now been fixed. Also, the download size has been reduced again.
Adblock Plus 1.7 for Chrome and Opera released · 2013-12-18 15:57 by Thomas Greiner
This release includes significant changes to the icon and the icon popup. It is the next step in redesigning the entire UI after releasing new versions of our first-run page on all platforms earlier this year.
The redesigned popup allows us to seamlessly integrate features such as the blocked ads counter and the emergency notifications. Users who want to hide the icon can now right-click on it and hide it from there which is why we removed the related option from the Options page. The icon can be brought back on the browser’s Extensions page.
Changes in detail
- Icon popup has been redesigned.
- Extension icon has been improved and relocated from the address bar to the browser toolbar.
- The number of blocked elements on the current page can be displayed in the icon now.
- Simplified selecting element to block on some websites, if the element selected cannot be blocked its parent container will be selected instead.
- Selection of element to block now reacts to Enter and Esc hotkeys (select element and cancel selection respectively).
- Fixed: Selecting element to block didn’t prevent links from being followed.
- Fixed: Elements would sometimes be stuck with wrong background color after “Block element” menu item was used and canceled.
Adblock Plus 1.6.1 for Chrome and Opera released · 2013-10-16 17:13 by Wladimir Palant
- Some missing translations for the first-run page are now included.
- Fixed: Data corruption warning was showing up for the initial installation.
- Pop-up blocking has been enabled, current Opera versions now have the necessary functionality.
- Fixed: First-run page sometimes didn’t show up (worked around a bug that Opera apparently ported from Presto to Chromium).
Adblock Plus 2.4 for Firefox, Adblock Plus 1.6 for Chrome and Opera released · 2013-10-09 16:52 by Wladimir Palant
This release improves the first-run page that is common in all three browsers. We redesigned it once again and made sure that new users get a better overview.
- Fixed: Adblock Plus icon wasn’t showing up on browser startup for some users.
- Fixed: Redirect blocking wasn’t working in current Firefox versions.
- Fixed: Issue reporter fails to process some console errors.
- Fixed: Adblock Plus fails to start up when updating in current Firefox nightly builds (workaround for bug 924340).
- The number of ads blocked on a page and in total now shows up when in the icon is clicked.
Note: This is the last Adblock Plus for Chrome release where we use Argentinian Spanish when the locale selected in Chrome is “Latin American Spanish.” Unfortunately, Chrome doesn’t allow supporting the many existing Latin American Spanish dialects properly. However, we’ve determined that Mexican Spanish will be a better choice for the Latin American region and future releases will use that locale.
First-run page redesigned - again · 2013-10-05 12:29 by Wladimir Palant
We are continuing to improve the Adblock Plus first-run page to make sure it provides the best possible overview. The current round of development builds (Adblock Plus 220.127.116.1125 for Firefox and Adblock Plus 18.104.22.1688 for Chrome and Opera) contains a redesigned first-run page again, I hope you like it. If you are updating from a previous version this page won’t show up of course — you can still open it by typing the address into the location bar manually. The address is
chrome://adblockplus/content/ui/firstRun.html in Firefox and
chrome-extension://ldcecbkkoecffmfljeihcmifjjdoepkn/firstRun.html in Chrome and Opera.
Note: The “Contributor Credits” link at the bottom of the first-run page isn’t hooked up yet, this page will be online soon however.
In addition, the Chrome and Opera builds now have an ad counting feature. Whenever you click the Adblock Plus icon you should get the number of ads blocked on the particular page and the total number of blocked ads (similar information is shown in the icon’s tooltip in Firefox). The total number will only consider the ads blocked after updating to this build. Please don’t comment on the design of this feature, we are working on an improved design already.
Adblock Plus 1.5.5 for Chrome and Opera released · 2013-09-02 13:13 by Wladimir Palant
This release implements a partial work-around for Chromium bug 281711. This bug prevented Adblock Plus from blocking ads on pages that were opened from Flash (e.g. when people clicked the YouTube link inside a YouTube video).
Adblock Plus 1.5.4 for Chrome and Opera released · 2013-08-16 12:51 by Wladimir Palant
This emergency release fixes a serious bug that caused opting out of acceptable ads to be reverted. Other changes in this release are:
- Fixed localization issue breaking extension for Danish users.
- Fixed localization issues resulting in broken links on the Options page.
- Updated punycode library.
Bug in Adblock Plus for Chrome and Opera caused acceptable ads setting to be reverted · 2013-08-16 12:51 by Wladimir Palant
Adblock Plus for Chrome and Opera releases starting with version 1.5.1 had a very bad bug: acceptable ads were enabled on update, even for users who previously opted out. This issue is fixed in the Adblock Plus 1.5.4 release but the damage is already done — there is no way to distinguish users who opted out and had acceptable ads re-enabled on update from those who didn’t opt out.
What should somebody who opted out previously do now?
If you use Adblock Plus for Chrome or Opera and unchecked “Allow some non-intrusive advertising” previously then chances are that it is checked again now. You will have to go into Adblock Plus options and uncheck it again. Unfortunately, this issue cannot be repaired automatically. We are really sorry about that.
Adblock Plus 2.3.2 for Firefox, Adblock Plus 1.5.3 for Chrome and Opera released · 2013-07-29 13:08 by Wladimir Palant
This is a bugfix release that fixes an issue with the newly introduced emergency notification mechanism.