Suppressing the first-run page on Chrome · 2015-04-20 17:18 by Sebastian Noack
We’ve been asked by system administrators who want to deploy Adblock Plus on their network for a way to disable the first-run page.
This is now possible with Adblock Plus for Chrome. The current Adblock Plus development build, 220.127.116.119, and the upcoming release, 1.9, can be configured by extension policies to suppress the first-run page.
Adblock Plus 1.8.12 for Chrome, Opera and Safari released · 2015-03-10 20:41 by Sebastian Noack
- Fixed: Trailing question marks in URLs were ignored, which caused issues with some video websites (issue 2026).
- Fixed some inconsistencies with the new icon and improved support for high resolution displays (issue 2049, issue 2050, issue 2052 and issue 2053).
- Improved behavior of ‘Block element’ dialog (issue 370, issue 1282, issue 1853, issue 2076 and issue 2081).
- Fixed: Placeholders for blocked elements showed up in dynamically created frames (issue 2084).
- Fixed: Opening the options page from the icon popup didn’t work when the option page was already open in a different tab (issue 2079).
OTHERrequests are distinguished now (issue 2064).
- Fixed: Tabs opened before loading the extension weren’t recognized (issue 2082).
Changing “Block element” dialog behavior on Chrome, Opera and Safari · 2015-03-05 12:11 by Sebastian Noack
We’ve just fixed some conceptual issues with the “Block element” functionality in Adblock Plus as available from the icon menu and the context menu on Chrome, Opera and Safari. This feature lets you select an element on the current page and generate filters to block it.
These changes are now visible in the development builds as of Adblock Plus 18.104.22.1686, and will be included in the upcoming release of Adblock Plus 1.8.12, planned for next Tuesday on March 10, 2015.
Adblock Plus 1.8.11 for Chrome, Opera and Safari released · 2015-02-24 17:17 by Sebastian Noack
- Improved the icon and logo (issue 1535 and issue 1989).
- Fixed: Filters with internationalized domains didn’t match (issue 1801).
- Fixed: On the options page, input was submitted even if the wrong button was pressed (issue 1448).
- Fixed some issues with the “Block element” dialog.
- Fixed: Overlays were sometimes covered by other elements (issue 1857).
- Fixed: Matching elements weren’t highlighted sometimes (issue 1864).
- Fixed: Mouse events handled by the page could prevent the dialog from showing up (issue 1665).
- Fixed: Dialog wasn’t completely visible when selecting elements inside small frames (issue 350).
- Fixed several issues related to framesets (issue 1867, issue 1870 and issue 1082).
- Fixed issues caused by selecting SVG elements (issue 1856).
- Fixed: Images weren’t recognized when using image maps (issue 1868).
- Fixed a memory leak when routing messages across frames (issue 1840).
- Fixed: Icon and badge didn’t update for pre-rendered tabs (issue 1976).
- Fixed issue with third-party pages loaded in anonymous frames (issue 1977).
- Fixed: CSS selectors containing commas partially broke element hiding (issue 1802).
- Fixed: “Block element” dialog and highlighted elements were staying visible after the extension is unloaded (issue 1843).
- Fixed an issue that broke the user interface for some languages (issue 2008).
Adblock Plus 1.8.10 for Chrome, Opera and Safari released · 2015-01-20 18:30 by Sebastian Noack
- Fixed: “Block element” didn’t highlight some elements correctly (issue 1751 and issue 1755).
- Fixed: “Block element” didn’t work while the first run page was open (issue 1741).
- Worked around an issue that broke printing of spreadsheets on Google Docs (issue 1770).
- Adapted for a new API feature introduced in Chrome 41 and Opera 28, that allows to identify frames more efficiently and reliably (issue 1739).
- Fixed a potential memory leak in the messaging code (issue 1724).
First-run page rearchitecturing complete · 2015-01-08 13:39 by Wladimir Palant
Ever since the Firefox nightly builds switched on E10S (multi-process) the Adblock Plus first-run page was broken. We noticed the issue mid-December last year and were working on a solution since then. The result was a completely different backend for the first-run page, one that will hopefully be used for the other pieces of the user interface as well soon (no urgency there however). The new first-run page in Adblock Plus 22.214.171.12484 for Firefox and Adblock Plus 126.96.36.1999 for Chrome, Opera and Safari should hopefully look and behave exactly the same as the old one. It should however be functional in the current Firefox nightlies with E10S switched on and perform better in Safari.
If you want to test the first-run page without reinstalling, you can copy
chrome://adblockplus/content/ui/firstRun.html into the address bar in Firefox or
chrome-extension://ldcecbkkoecffmfljeihcmifjjdoepkn/firstRun.html in Chrome and Opera.
Adblock Plus 1.8.9 for Chrome, Opera and Safari released · 2015-01-06 20:00 by Sebastian Noack
- Worked around some circumvention attempts.
- Fixed: Extension pages didn’t respect direction of right-to-left languages (issue 1668).
- Fixed an issue when generating filters based on the style attribute (issue 1658).
- Fixed an issue where “Block element” from the context menu didn’t work or in an inferior way than from the popup (issue 1611).
- When blocking elements suggest filters based on all URLs associated with the element (issue 1601).
- Removed ‘Hide placeholders of blocked elements’ option from the user interface (issue 1671).
- Updated the extension description (issue 1643).
- Worked around a Chrome bug that caused placeholders for blocked elements to show up on some pages (issue 1703).
<input type=image>elements were not recognized as images (issue 1644).
- Fixed: Spanish (Spain) translations were used instead of Spanish (Latin America) (issue 1666).
- Fixed: Popup did not respond when multiple tabs were opened simultaneously (issue 1694).
Removed "Hide placeholders of blocked elements" option · 2014-12-11 15:49 by Sebastian Noack
Disabling the “Hide placeholders of blocked elements” option in the menu (Firefox) or in the “General” section of the options page (Chrome, Opera, Safari) had the effect that placeholders were shown for elements which didn’t load because of Adblock Plus. The purpose of this feature was to see when something was blocked on a webpage. However, the results couldn’t be relied on because it didn’t have any effect on hidden or generally invisible elements. Also, in Chrome, Opera and Safari there is now the icon badge indicating the number of blocked requests (coming to Firefox as well soon). Therefore, we decided to remove the option from the user interface.
Adblock Plus 1.8.8 for Chrome, Opera and Safari released · 2014-12-02 19:32 by Sebastian Noack
- Added validation of custom filters, preventing users from adding filters that break element hiding (issue 491).
- Fixed an issue where elements, which use a special URL and therefore aren’t blocked, are collapsed (issue 1613).
- Improved and fixed some issues with the “Block element” dialog.
- Consider the
styleattribute as last resort, if otherwise no filter can be generated for the given element (issue 700).
- Generate element hiding filters instead of request blocking filters for elements using special URLs which can’t be blocked (issue 705).
- Use vertical scrollbars instead of wrapping long filter texts (issue 731).
- Fixed an issue where popup state wasn’t reset after closing the dialog (issue 1122).
- Fixed an error which prevented dragging the dialog to another position (issue 1516).
- Fixed insufficient escaping of CSS selectors, which broke some generated element hiding filters (issue 1527 and 1587).
- Mitigated side-effects on pages that respond to events of selected elements (issue 1603).
- Fixed: Overlays are injected for hidden elements (issue 1606).
- Fixed wrong
z-indexof injected overlays (issue 1607).
- Fixed an error caused by generating only a request blocking filter for an
<object>element (issue 1609).
- Keep highlighting all selected elements until the dialog is closed (issue 1610).
- Fixed an issue where some elements weren’t removed immediately when the filter is saved (issue 1612).
- Consider the
- Adapted workaround for Chrome bug causing some issues with Flash videos, for Chrome 40, Opera 27 and above (issue 1593).
- Fixed: Options page isn’t opened correctly from an incognito window (issue 1268).
- Fixed: Blocked frames aren’t collapsed (issue 1592).
- Improved performance, by caching translations (issue 1502).
Adblock Plus 1.8.7 for Chrome and Opera released · 2014-10-28 18:06 by Sebastian Noack
This release only fixes an issue breaking Flash videos on Chrome 39 and Opera 26 (issue 1496). We initially addressed that issue only for Chrome 38 and Opera 25, assuming that Google fixes the Chrome bug that is causing this issue, before Chrome 39 is released. However, they didn’t yet, and it is rather unlikely that they will still fix it for Chrome 39, which is in beta now.
Note: We also released Adblock Plus 1.8.7 for Safari but there are no changes there compared to Adblock Plus 1.8.6.