Adblock Plus 1.8.6 for Chrome, Opera and Safari released · 2014-10-15 00:10 by Sebastian Noack
- Removed special handling for
$sitekeyfilter option, handling them the same as the
$domainoption (issue 433).
- Generate protocol-agnostic filters when using the “Block element” dialog (issue 704).
- Fixed an issue with escaping URLs in filters generated by the “Block element” dialog (issue 1393).
- Fixed an issue causing infinite recursion when blocking
<input type=image>elements (issue 1396).
- Disable “Block element” option on XML pages, where it doesn’t work anyway (issue 1428).
- Implemented a workaround for a bug in Chrome 38 and Opera 25, which broke some Flash videos (issue 1372).
- Removed side-effects introduced by the “Block element” dialog if websites change styles of highlighted elements (issue 1325).
Adblock Plus 1.8.5 for Chrome, Opera and Safari released · 2014-09-08 14:15 by Wladimir Palant
Due to a mistake on our end, a few changes that were announced for the previous release didn’t actually make it into the builds. This is being corrected now.
- Fixed: “Block Element” dialog was sometimes covered up by other page elements (issue 703).
- Fixed: Checkbox labels on the options page should be clickable (issue 1226).
- Adapted for changes in Chrome 36, Opera 23 and higher. Removed side-effects of element hiding on affected websites (e.g. Outlook 365) again (issue 1290).
Adblock Plus 1.8.4 for Chrome, Opera and Safari released · 2014-09-03 20:10 by Sebastian Noack
Note: Some changes announced here didn’t actually make it into the build, these are part of Adblock Plus 1.8.5.
Fixed: “Block Element” dialog was sometimes covered up by other page elements (issue 703).
- Fixed element hiding and collapsing within inline frames on Chrome 36, Opera 23, and earlier (issue 581).
- Fixed an issue where pages using an XSLT template were rendered blank (issue 673).
- Made sure that bad filters cannot break extension pages (issue 926).
Adapted for changes in Chrome 36, Opera 23 and higher. Removed side-effects of element hiding on affected websites (e.g. Outlook 365) again (issue 1290).
- Block in-video ads on YouTube when using the HTML5 player as well (issue 1258).
- Fixed an issue which broke some websites when using EasyPrivacy (issue 649).
- Improved performance when using many tabs (issue 654).
Adblock Plus 1.8.3 for Chrome, Opera and Safari released · 2014-06-03 17:45 by Thomas Greiner
Issues like filters being removed on Chrome and settings being reset on Safari led to Adblock Plus not blocking any ads for some users. Starting with this release, the default filter lists will automatically be restored when no filter lists are configured (issue 417). Users who are affected by this will be shown a message and should check their filter list settings.
- Worked around two bugs in Chrome when using Shadow DOM (issue 450 and issue 498).
- Fixed an issue with blocking ads in situations where we don’t know the top level frame (issue 451).
- Enabled element hiding and collapsing inside inline frames on Chrome 37. A solution for older versions of Chrome and Opera still needs to be implemented (issue 581).
- Fixed blocking of elements embedded with a relative URL (issue 573).
Adblock Plus for Chrome development builds are now in Chrome Web Store · 2014-05-07 18:16 by Wladimir Palant
We implemented automatic upload of the Adblock Plus for Chrome development builds to Chrome Web Store which will become the primary source of the development builds now.
Adblock Plus 1.8.1 for Chrome, Opera and Safari released · 2014-05-07 15:10 by Sebastian Noack
Unfortunately, YouTube updated their website around the same time we released Adblock Plus for Safari yesterday, and partially broke blocking of videos ads in Safari (issue 438). But the good news are that we were quickly able to fix it, blocking all ads on YouTube again.
This release also fixes a regression with the “Block Element” context menu entry, which was broken in Chrome and Opera (issue 437). And we fixed an issue with the Dutch and Estonian translation which prevented installation from Chrome Web Store depending on selected language.
Adblock Plus 1.8 for Chrome, Opera and Safari released · 2014-05-06 14:00 by Sebastian Noack
Adblock Plus for Safari is out of beta and this is the first release where we release for Safari, Chrome and Opera simultaneously. Adblock Plus for Safari is mostly on par with Adblock Plus for Chrome and Opera. There are currently some limitations however when it comes to blocking popups, XMLHttpRequests and requests initiated by Flash. Most of these are limitations in Safari that will hopefully be addressed in future Safari versions.
We also added a notification that shows up the first time users visit websites which show obtrusive anti-adblock messages, asking them whether to block those or not. This was ported from Adblock Plus for Firefox, where we introduced it in February (issue 174).
In order to hide elements we have to inject a stylesheet into the web page. However, changing an arbitrary web page always introduces the chance to break something. So we are now using Shadow DOM if available (that’s almost all supported Chrome and Opera versions). This allows us to hide our stylesheet from the web page itself (issue 309).
Chrome 35 is now in beta and has changed quite a few things in particular for extensions. So this release includes changes to restore compatibility with Chrome 35. At the same time we have dropped support for versions older than Chrome 28. Adblock Plus already suffered from some limitations on older Chrome versions, but with recent changes it is no longer possible to support Chrome 18 to 27.
- Fixed: Wrong filter was sometimes created by “Block Element” dialog when matching elements by class.
- Fixed various issues with the emergency notification mechanism.
- The icon indicating whether Adblock Plus is enabled/disabled is correctly set on startup now.
- Added high-resolution icons for Retina displays (issue 4).
- Fixed issues with unknown frames and memory leaks while keeping track of frames (issue 178).
- Fixed race condition sometimes preventing initialization on first run (issue 337).
Data loss on Google Chrome hopefully fixed · 2014-04-29 11:26 by Wladimir Palant
There have been complains about data loss on Google Chrome for quite some time already. People complained about all filters data suddenly being gone — without any obvious reason and without any way to reproduce the issue. It seems that we’ve finally found the cause of this issue and it has been resolved in Adblock Plus 22.214.171.1245 for Chrome. Please report any issues you notice with this development build. The current plan is to have a new stable release next Tuesday, then we will see whether the fix worked (the issue is rare enough that it isn’t possible to tell anything before rolling out the fix to the entire user base). If you are interested, the details are listed in issue 361.
Adblock Plus 1.7.3 for Chrome and Opera released · 2014-01-29 17:38 by Wladimir Palant
This release fixes pop-up blocking that was broken in the previous release. It also addresses a long standing issue, the size of the “Block element” dialog wasn’t always set correctly.
Adblock Plus 1.7.2 for Chrome and Opera released · 2013-12-19 14:36 by Wladimir Palant
The previous release introduced issues with some old Chrome versions (reported for Chrome 24 and 25), element hiding wouldn’t work there. These have now been fixed. Also, the download size has been reduced again.