Adblock Plus 1.9.2 for Safari released · 2015-07-17 16:14 by Sebastian Noack
Install Adblock Plus 1.9.2 for Safari (Safari 6 or higher required)
We’ve just updated the release channel of Adblock Plus for Safari. There was only one minor change that was required in order to submit the extension to the new Safari Extension Gallery (issue 2796). Submitting Adblock Plus there is important to make sure that Safari 9 users receive automatic updates in the future.
Builds for Chrome and Opera were generated as well. But since there were no user-visible changes compared to the previous release, we didn’t upload these to their respective web stores.
Adblock Plus 1.9.1 for Chrome, Opera and Safari released · 2015-07-14 17:41 by Thomas Greiner
- Added global opt-out for notifications (issue 2195).
- Immediately show notifications after they were downloaded (issue 2419).
- Reduced delay of initial download of notifications (issue 2659).
- Fixed: Notification data was reset when pages load during extension intitialization (issue 2757).
Adblock Plus 1.9 for Chrome, Opera and Safari released · 2015-06-16 14:30 by Sebastian Noack
- Fixed: Placeholders weren’t hidden for elements that were blocked by an URL given in the srcset attribute (issue 2634).
- Exception rules with protocol don’t imply the
$documentflag anymore (issue 2503).
- Changed the label for the share buttons to reflect the functionality more accurately (issue 2202).
- Implemented an alternative format for subscription links (issue 2212).
- Fixed some issues with the “Block element” dialog:
- Fixed some issues with element highlighting (issue 2077, issue 2209).
- Fixed some issues with dragging the dialog (issue 2100, issue 2173, issue 2194).
- Fixed issues with how the context menu interacted with other parts of the user interface (issue 2279, issue 2298).
- The page no longer freezes when selecting an element that would result in a lot of other elements being blocked as well (issue 2215).
- Performance improvements:
- Changed the way Adblock Plus stores persistent data such as setting and filter lists, replacing localStorage and the deprecated FileSystem API with chrome.storage (issue 2021, issue 2040).
- Run content scripts in anonymous frames again, in order to block ads more reliably (issue 2216, issue 2217).
- Worked around a Chromium bug that caused corruption of the page layout when using the feedback dialog on Google Mail and other Google websites (issue 2602).
Fixed element hiding filters using CSS selectors with commas inside quoted text (issue 2467).
- Don’t assume Chromium-specific user agent string, fixing issues when using
--user-agentswitch, or running on a different platform (issue 2537).
- Performance improvements:
- Flush caches after filter changes only when absolutely necessary and respect the browser’s quotas (issue 2034, issue 2297).
- Improved the performance of CSS selector injection, slightly decreasing page load time, in particular on pages with many frames and/or many active element hiding filters (issue 2528).
- Got rid of some
try..catchstatements which prevent functions from being optimized (issue 2658, issue 2569).
- Avoid iteration over a hash-table which prevents functions from being optimized, slightly improving performance of element hiding filter matching (issue 2582).
- Fixed: Spanish translation wasn’t being used (issue 2665).
- Restored compatibility with Safari 6 (issue 2172).
Content blocking in Safari 9 and iOS 9: good news? Or the death knell of ad blocking on Safari? · 2015-06-10 16:29 by Sebastian Noack
Apple recently announced a new mechanism for Safari and iOS extensions to block content. In short, either this new API will improve Adblock Plus performance on Safari or it will force us to rely upon an inferior blocking format that would essentially kill ad blocking on Safari.
Adblock Plus 1.8.12 for Chrome, Opera and Safari released · 2015-03-10 20:41 by Sebastian Noack
- Fixed: Trailing question marks in URLs were ignored, which caused issues with some video websites (issue 2026).
- Fixed some inconsistencies with the new icon and improved support for high resolution displays (issue 2049, issue 2050, issue 2052 and issue 2053).
- Improved behavior of ‘Block element’ dialog (issue 370, issue 1282, issue 1853, issue 2076 and issue 2081).
- Fixed: Placeholders for blocked elements showed up in dynamically created frames (issue 2084).
- Fixed: Opening the options page from the icon popup didn’t work when the option page was already open in a different tab (issue 2079).
OTHERrequests are distinguished now (issue 2064).
- Fixed: Tabs opened before loading the extension weren’t recognized (issue 2082).
Changing “Block element” dialog behavior on Chrome, Opera and Safari · 2015-03-05 12:11 by Sebastian Noack
We’ve just fixed some conceptual issues with the “Block element” functionality in Adblock Plus as available from the icon menu and the context menu on Chrome, Opera and Safari. This feature lets you select an element on the current page and generate filters to block it.
These changes are now visible in the development builds as of Adblock Plus 220.127.116.116, and will be included in the upcoming release of Adblock Plus 1.8.12, planned for next Tuesday on March 10, 2015.
Adblock Plus 1.8.11 for Chrome, Opera and Safari released · 2015-02-24 17:17 by Sebastian Noack
- Improved the icon and logo (issue 1535 and issue 1989).
- Fixed: Filters with internationalized domains didn’t match (issue 1801).
- Fixed: On the options page, input was submitted even if the wrong button was pressed (issue 1448).
- Fixed some issues with the “Block element” dialog.
- Fixed: Overlays were sometimes covered by other elements (issue 1857).
- Fixed: Matching elements weren’t highlighted sometimes (issue 1864).
- Fixed: Mouse events handled by the page could prevent the dialog from showing up (issue 1665).
- Fixed: Dialog wasn’t completely visible when selecting elements inside small frames (issue 350).
- Fixed several issues related to framesets (issue 1867, issue 1870 and issue 1082).
- Fixed issues caused by selecting SVG elements (issue 1856).
- Fixed: Images weren’t recognized when using image maps (issue 1868).
- Fixed a memory leak when routing messages across frames (issue 1840).
- Fixed: Icon and badge didn’t update for pre-rendered tabs (issue 1976).
- Fixed issue with third-party pages loaded in anonymous frames (issue 1977).
- Fixed: CSS selectors containing commas partially broke element hiding (issue 1802).
- Fixed: “Block element” dialog and highlighted elements were staying visible after the extension is unloaded (issue 1843).
- Fixed an issue that broke the user interface for some languages (issue 2008).
Adblock Plus 1.8.10 for Chrome, Opera and Safari released · 2015-01-20 18:30 by Sebastian Noack
- Fixed: “Block element” didn’t highlight some elements correctly (issue 1751 and issue 1755).
- Fixed: “Block element” didn’t work while the first run page was open (issue 1741).
- Worked around an issue that broke printing of spreadsheets on Google Docs (issue 1770).
- Adapted for a new API feature introduced in Chrome 41 and Opera 28, that allows to identify frames more efficiently and reliably (issue 1739).
- Fixed a potential memory leak in the messaging code (issue 1724).
Adblock Plus 1.8.9 for Chrome, Opera and Safari released · 2015-01-06 20:00 by Sebastian Noack
- Worked around some circumvention attempts.
- Fixed: Extension pages didn’t respect direction of right-to-left languages (issue 1668).
- Fixed an issue when generating filters based on the style attribute (issue 1658).
- Fixed an issue where “Block element” from the context menu didn’t work or in an inferior way than from the popup (issue 1611).
- When blocking elements suggest filters based on all URLs associated with the element (issue 1601).
- Removed ‘Hide placeholders of blocked elements’ option from the user interface (issue 1671).
- Updated the extension description (issue 1643).
- Worked around a Chrome bug that caused placeholders for blocked elements to show up on some pages (issue 1703).
<input type=image>elements were not recognized as images (issue 1644).
- Fixed: Spanish (Spain) translations were used instead of Spanish (Latin America) (issue 1666).
- Fixed: Popup did not respond when multiple tabs were opened simultaneously (issue 1694).
Adblock Plus 1.8.8 for Chrome, Opera and Safari released · 2014-12-02 19:32 by Sebastian Noack
- Added validation of custom filters, preventing users from adding filters that break element hiding (issue 491).
- Fixed an issue where elements, which use a special URL and therefore aren’t blocked, are collapsed (issue 1613).
- Improved and fixed some issues with the “Block element” dialog.
- Consider the
styleattribute as last resort, if otherwise no filter can be generated for the given element (issue 700).
- Generate element hiding filters instead of request blocking filters for elements using special URLs which can’t be blocked (issue 705).
- Use vertical scrollbars instead of wrapping long filter texts (issue 731).
- Fixed an issue where popup state wasn’t reset after closing the dialog (issue 1122).
- Fixed an error which prevented dragging the dialog to another position (issue 1516).
- Fixed insufficient escaping of CSS selectors, which broke some generated element hiding filters (issue 1527 and 1587).
- Mitigated side-effects on pages that respond to events of selected elements (issue 1603).
- Fixed: Overlays are injected for hidden elements (issue 1606).
- Fixed wrong
z-indexof injected overlays (issue 1607).
- Fixed an error caused by generating only a request blocking filter for an
<object>element (issue 1609).
- Keep highlighting all selected elements until the dialog is closed (issue 1610).
- Fixed an issue where some elements weren’t removed immediately when the filter is saved (issue 1612).
- Consider the
- Adapted workaround for Chrome bug causing some issues with Flash videos, for Chrome 40, Opera 27 and above (issue 1593).
- Fixed: Options page isn’t opened correctly from an incognito window (issue 1268).
- Fixed: Blocked frames aren’t collapsed (issue 1592).
- Improved performance, by caching translations (issue 1502).