New Filter Preferences dialog and more · 2011-12-01 17:25 by Wladimir Palant
Huge changes that were living on the “experimental” branch just landed, we are now in the Beta phase for Adblock Plus 2.0. The most notable changes in Adblock Plus 2.0b.3255:
- New Filter Preferences dialog replaces the old Preferences dialog and hopefully makes managing filters and subscriptions easier.
- Custom filter groups can be created, you are no longer limited by the groups created automatically.
- Filter groups can contain multiple instances of the same filter (most importantly comments).
- Filter subscription is now added automatically on startup, the user no longer needs to confirm (but can easily revert the decision).
- The new Backup and Restore functionality allows exporting all filter data as well as custom filters only. The latter is identical to the old Import/Export but will restore filter groups.
While this functionality is finally usable we are not done yet. There are multiple known issues, most of them should be fixed over the course of the next few days:
- Resetting hit counts isn’t possible yet.
- Searching filters isn’t possible yet.
- There is no warning message if the filter subscription requires a newer Adblock Plus version.
- Filter actions and “Add filter” don’t appear disabled even when they are unavailable.
- Creating filters via filter composer will create a new special filter group even when user-defined groups are available.
- Filter editor ignores Home and End keys (not sure whether this can be fixed).
- Actions executed on many filters (delete or remove) might take too long.
Some things that won’t change:
- Enter key closes the Filter Preferences dialog, F2 has to be used to start editing a filter.
- Filter editor no longer has a Close button.
If you find something else, please comment here or report a bug.
Commenting is closed for this article.