About Adblock Plus for Android
What is Adblock Plus for Android?
Adblock Plus for Android is an Android app that runs in the background and filters ads, using the same filter lists as the Adblock Plus browser extensions. It works on Android version 2.3 and higher.
Because Android's support for traffic filtering is limited, Adblock Plus uses several approaches, automatically selecting the best one for the device:
- If the device is rooted, Adblock Plus will filter all web traffic out of the box.
- On non-rooted devices running Android 4.1.2, 4.2.1 and higher, Adblock Plus will filter all WiFi traffic, but it needs to be configured as a proxy server manually. Detailed instructions are provided by Adblock Plus for not experienced users.
- On non-rooted devices running Android 3.1 and higher, Adblock Plus will filter all WiFi traffic out of the box.
- On non-rooted devices running Android 3.0 and older, Adblock Plus needs to be configured as a proxy server manually. Some devices do not support proxy configuration, and Adblock Plus does not work on those.
Follow the installation instructions.
Depending on your device, you might have to change your network configuration for Adblock Plus to work.
Frequently asked questions
- Is a rooted device required?
- Why am I asked to make changes to my network settings, even if Adblock Plus used to work fine?
- Can I move the app to an SD card?
- Does it work with Firefox for Android?
- Why does Adblock Plus appear to consume so much traffic?
- How can I make the icon in the notification area go away?
- Why is Adblock Plus not on the Google Play store?